Friday, June 29, 2007

I am fucking pissed off

Below is an email I sent to the management of our house. It should explain my thoughts well enough.


I've overheard some things about Matt that have bothered me a lot. There have been some abuses, especially with regards to workshift, that I think need to be rectified at the next possible opportunity.

Matt is currently getting hours for being "kitchen manager," a position that was not approved or voted upon, and a job which he has done almost no work for. The only work he has done was to bring a motion to the house which he sabotaged with his own inflexibility. He is presently still receiving hours as kitchen manager, at 2 hours a
week. His other shift was gardening, a generally cushy shift. He's not signed up for that anymore, but that's probably because he never did it. I doubt he was ever docked.

When I asked how he got such sweet shifts (one of which deserves no hours and never did), I was informed that he had a deal with Jon Hung over the workshift manager election. If you remember, Matt was running until the last minute when he dropped out. Apparently, he hasn't kept it much of a secret that he was never interested in the position, but only ran to scare away any competition for Jon and make it more likely that Jon would win.

There are two major issues here. The issue involving the election means that Matt is sleazy, uncooperative, and willing to intimidate people to get his way. The other issue is that he does not do workshift, but still gets credit for it. He was at one point down 8 hours, but now he is down only 1.5. I have never seen him do any
workshift, so I find myself wondering how he got up so many hours.

I think both of these are very serious issues. The list of abuses Matt has done against the house is really adding up, and now through a sleazy deal, he is abusing the system even more. I think you should look over his workshift record via Jon's account on the server. It would probably be very enlightening.

Whenever Matt has behaved like an ass (which is more and more frequent lately), I believe the management has been very respectful and lenient with him. While I believe it is important to treat people in a calm and forgiving manner in hopes that they change their ways, I think Matt is past that. I truly believe that it is time for some action against him, something that will put his hours back at the amount they
should be and increase the level of communication within the house so that this sort of abuse is easier to spot and harder to get away with. I personally believe that Matt should be terminated from the USCA. While I believe that he is a drain on the system and makes this community a worse place to live, I also do not think we have enough evidence to terminate his contract. However, I do think we should make
his actions public knowledge of the house and fine him the maximum for every offense he has committed, with the promise of fining the maximum every time he does an abusive action in the future. I believe that discussion with Matt has been fruitless and that we must do some type of public action if we want this action to stop and for him to start doing workshifts again.

2 comments:

zurvan said...

Good luck!
Think that they will respond?

rjamm said...

There has been at least a preliminary response and a looking into of Matt's workshifts. There have been some justifications, but I'm still very dubious. I think we're going to look into the matter more, but I'm starting to think not a lot will come of it. It isn't over yet though, so we'll see.