Thursday, June 7, 2007

Reading

I've been a voracious little reader lately. I set down the Wii for a bit because I think I was getting a smidge too obsessed (lovely though the Wii is). I had several books on my pleasure reading list and I've finally gotten around to them. It's funny. I've been intending to read them for so long. I remember before last semester started, I made a list for myself of all the potential things I could do. I expected to have a lot of free time, what with taking only two classes pass/no pass. Pleasure reading was on that list. But I didn't get around to it. I didn't get around to most of the things on my list. I was surprised by how busy I was kept. There was always stuff to do. I was rarely bored. Relaxing here in Roseville, I finally started on that pleasure reading and berated myself a little for taking so long about it. It felt like such a chore to get started and such a time commitment, but it didn't really take so long at all and it was really enjoyable. But now that I think about it, college really does not lend itself to pleasure reading. Especially the coops do not lend themselves to pleasure reading. I was always so easy to head out into the common rooms for a quick snack and stick around talking to people for a few hours. Back in high school, I watched hours of tv and downloaded hours more of anime to watch. I didn't have much better to do. Here in Roseville, there aren't a whole lot of distractions. College, on the other hand, is a pretty exciting time. There is a lot going on. I think I had forgotten how dull high school (and the time after college, I suspect) can be. You come home, not to a house full of people, but to the same old routines. In high school, the extent of my after school activities involved clubs or the occasional sport. Then after that were long evenings, all pretty much the same. In grade school, the height of my pleasure reading days, I didn't even have the after school clubs.

Reading's really fun when you don't have a lot going on, but it's not entirely feasible for someone living a busy lifestyle. I'd hardly call myself that busy, but I can occupy myself fairly well. For a while, I lamented how long it's been since I was bored. Boredom can really spur you on to do better when the time comes for action. It can make those times a lot more interesting by contrast. It also reminds you what life would be like if you didn't have the hardships of school ahead of you. Boredom leaves you time for pleasure reading, and other things I've been meaning to do. But I think I shouldn't be eager for boredom quite yet. It seems boredom is the way of things. College (and perhaps grad school will be as well) has been a bit of an aberration. I'm not the sort who will go on to live and exciting life after school, mingling with friends and attending parties. Every so often, I will get together with a friend I infrequently talk to and the will be the only event of note for the month.

I personally find that sort of lifestyle preferable. I look forward to it in a way, but I'm not going to look forward to it too eagerly. That will be the bulk of my life. This busy time will swiftly fade away. The time of socializing at all hours, the time of many activities at my fingertips at any moment, the time of not getting around to pleasure reading is not going to last. I should enjoy it while it is here and not wish for the boredom that allows me to explore other options. That will come in time. There's no point in looking forward to it when I know it inevitably stands in my not-so-distant future (5 years, perhaps?). Part of me hates to put down the pleasure reading, especially since I see it as beneficial and entertaining, but I know there will be lots of pleasure reading in my future. Now I think it is time to head back to Berkeley and savor being busy while it lasts. I've stayed in Roseville a little too long. I think I would have left today or tomorrow if not for Justine. The urge to leave is really starting to give me a mental itch. Well I'll see her at the next possible opportunity and hope that opportunity is sooner than Saturday (I fear it may not be). Sigh... seeing Justine is worth it, but I do wish I could be on my way.

No comments: