Monday, May 28, 2007

Wiiiiii!!!

That's the name of my new Wii. I think it aptly describes my feelings towards the Wii.

I spent a decent part of the day playing Wii Sports, but I've played Wii sports so much on Zach's Wii that I felt the need for something new. Then I got Super Paper Mario. Wow- I've only played about an hour so far, but that game is everything I could have hoped for. It's got all the cuteness of the first two paper marios, a pretty game style, interesting new innovations, and it even satisfies one of my greatest concerns: that it actually be unique to the Wii. I think the Wii has such an interesting new interface that it would be a shame to have a game on the system that didn't fully utilize it. And any game that fully utilizes the motion sensors has to translate poorly to other systems. In all fairness, the Wiimote probably isn't totally necessary, but it adds a few cute little puzzles that make the game a little more interesting. You can point at the screen to control your little fairy friend whose name I didn't bother to remember. It can see hidden things and the like. Other than that, it probably could be played on a system less unique than the Wii (though from what I understand, you have to shake the Wiimote at the right time to kill your opponents with style, so that also uses the Wii's motion detecting stuff).

I haven't played much yet, but it's turning out to be a pretty awesome game. :)

No comments: