Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wah.

Having my wisdom teeth out sucks. Yeah, yeah, I know it sucks for everybody. In fact, I think I have it easier than most. I think my surgeon was pretty good, so I have minimal swelling. My face is still swollen, but not as bad as it could have been. Also, I feel partly to blame for that since I haven't been icing it appropriately.

But the thing is, I was expecting swelling. I was expecting pain. I was expecting to eat mush and ice cream for a week. But I was not expecting to be completely unable to open my mouth. Now THAT sucks! Sure I can open it about a half inch. Enough to talk. Of course, talking for too long starts to hurt after a while. But if I feel like some of the mush I'm eating is getting too near my gums, I can't actually get it because I can't open my mouth enough for my tongue to get there. My tongue can (minimally) reach my lower jaw, but I still haven't been able to inspect what was going on with my upper jaw. Now that's weird. Whenever you have a bruise or a cut or any type of injury, one of the first things you do is poke it. You have to find out just how bad it is, right? I have yet to poke or prod at the cuts on my upper jaw. And that bums me out partially because I think it's a more hopeful story up there. The lower jaw had all the impacted molars that they really had to fight to get out. They were coming in mostly straight along my upper jaw. The upper part hasn't hurt me much or gotten swollen at all, so I really want to poke it to be reassured that this situation is not all bad. But trying to get into my mouth to poke it is impossible! My jaw won't open wide enough to do it! ARG! Very frustrating.

I've been occupying myself by playing video games. The Wii is pretty amazing, but 10 and 12 hour days of Paper Mario is starting to wear on me a little. I'm almost done with Paper Mario, and I'm looking forward to finishing it. Oddly enough, I want to finish it so I can do all the little extra stuff, like the optional dungeon, the Pit of 100 Trials (which I am ashamed to say I have not entered yet), or making all the recipes in the cookbook or buying all the maps and getting all the hidden treasures in all of them. There's all sorts of side quests and I kinda want to get on those. If it's anything like Paper Mario 2 (which I am pretty certain it is), I'll have the opportunity to do all those things after I've killed the final boss. Or defeated is more likely. Paper Mario is too cute for anything to die.

Now that I am on the cusp of defeating Super Paper Mario, I think I can begin to make comparisons to its predecessor. Super Paper Mario is definitely a shorter game. The controls are also not quite as intuitive. But it does have very innovative and cute ideas with respect to flipping into 3D. It also uses the Wiimote in interesting ways. Hmmm. Perhaps it's because Paper Mario 2 is more of an rpg than Super Paper Mario, but I think I prefer Paper Mario 2. PM2 had a few faults (such as taking forever to travel... so tedious...), but SPM is just a little rough around the edges. Switching between party members and Pixls (excessively adorable little helpers, each with their own unique talent) takes a little too long. I also didn't like how much better than everyone else Mario is. You pretty much have to play with him non stop. Each character has their own strengths that you have to occasionally use, but I pretty much just defaulted to Mario, switching to the others when I needed them and then switching back at the next opportunity. In PM2, all the characters were pretty unique and there was enough of a variety of situations that it made sense to shift them around a lot. Still, criticisms aside, SPM is really cute and really fun. It's also turning out to be pretty hard. I don't like hard. That's why I like rpgs. I'm a little frustrated at SPM because I just died. I don't often die in rpgs. In fact, this is the first time in the game that I have died (with one exception where I allowed myself to die because I messed something up right after a save). I got to a part where I had no idea what was going on. I had no clue how to get past a locked door and my already depleted life just kept getting smaller and smaller as I tried to find the key. Very frustrating, and at a time when my patience for frustration is a little thin. So yeah. I'm cranky. Painful, swollen face, trying moment in a video game I have almost beaten, unable to open my mouth, and as of about 5 minutes ago when I decided to start icing my face, now I have two ice packs strapped to my head. I look ridiculous. And those of you reading this will never see it! Ha! I'm keeping this moment to myself. At least the visual of it anyway.

Sigh. What a load of suck. And my gums are still bleeding. Uppity little bastards. Why don't you heal already, ya damn moochers!

I want to eat. But it hurts too much to eat. Grump. It hurts too much to take the penicillin, but that's not stopping me from taking that.

Well now this entry is just disintegrating into crankiness. This is less a ramble than it is a disjointed, incoherent series of complaints. Not my style. Not generally at least. I'd better end this before it gets any worse. Hopefully my mood will be somewhat improved tomorrow, though the cranky part of me says not likely. >:(

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor, poor sweetie. It'll be better in a few days, just you wait. And you have every right to be grumpy, becvause I think you do have it worse than most (or at least me, as I had 0 swelling and 0 pain and was 100% in like 2 days).