Thursday, April 5, 2007

Rambling level: maroon - danger!!! imminent rambling!!!

Apologies to all my loyal readers for this egregious gap between posts. I've been trying to keep this updated a little more than the past few days would indicate, but I'm a busy bee. Putting up posts, especially posts as long as the ones I seem to write) takes a fair amount of time. Now don't get me wrong- I like writing in my verbose and long winded style, but I can only write so much. If I happen to write a long email to a friend, I tend to not write in my blog for that day. If I happen to have a paper, blog writing become less likely there as well. And it's not just writing. If I happen to be hanging out with Steven, opportunities to blog are subsumed by frolicking and hugging. Tonight, chances to blog were nearly blotted out by a particularly long Scrabble match. I'm doing quite well for myself as a beginner. I still can't manage to beat Omer though. He's a Scrabble demon! A demon I say! It's ok though. I'll get lucky at some point and show him what for. I don't even need to be that lucky. I put him as winning over me maybe 65-35 or so, but perhaps I'm being too generous with myself. He ended with 260-some points and I was in the 230s. Not too far off. I'll get there eventually, especially as I play more.

But enough of Scrabble. I've been thinking about Scrabble for the past 2 hours and it's about time I stopped.

In fact, now seems an opportune time to discuss underwear. Where did mine go? Oh where, oh where is my underwear? I don't recall losing any pairs. I'm meticulous about cleaning out the washer and dryer, leaving not a single sock behind. In fact, I have a glut of socks. It makes it almost lucky that my underwear has gone missing. More room for socks. But that doesn't change the fact that I have barely a week's worth of under where I once had thrice that many! Where is my underwear!!!

I end this rant by changing to a point that seemed interesting as I was writing. In the last sentence of the previous paragraph ("Where is my underwear!!!" for reference), I used three exclamation marks. I briefly considered two questions marks and an exclamation mark interspearsed (ie ?!?), but it didn't seem like a question to me, so I kept it as three exclamation marks. Then I pondered over that. It surely was a question, but the way my rambly rant was going, it seemeded almost more like a command, thus meriting the exclamation marks. I wonder if there is some sort of linguistic pragmatic rule where angry questions are seen more as commands to answer the question instead of the question itself. Linguistics is fascinating.

As I reread a few of the last paragraphs, I realized that this particular blog entry is truly living up to the name of my blog. I am rambling as I never have before. It's almost a stream of though with slightly more coherence. And better spelling. I find this pleasing.

What I do not find pleasing is my inconsistency in poker. Some days, I make inordinant amounts of money. Others I lose almost as much as I gained. I'm ok with being an average, unexciting player with an upward trend (that last part is key), but I don't much appreciate all this bouncing to and fro. It's too emotional! And unfortunately, I seem to feel the emotion a little more strongly when I'm losing. When I'm winning hand over fist, I'm just generally surprised and in awe a little at the sheer sums of (fake) money making their way towards me. When I lose, I know it's because I'm making stupid calls. Bah! Such stupid calls! You knew he had a 2! You knew it! You just couldn't stand to lay it down. What if he had been bluffing? Gah! I remember I went from dead broke (they automatically give you another 1000 chips unless you've gone broke three times within the past hour) to 20000 chips. Then I levelled off a little going up to 22000, but not increasing at nearly the pace as before. So now I'm at 6 or 8000. Somewhere around there. Not so hot. I mean, good enough that I can keep entering the tables at 2000 chips (the maximum starting amount at the tables I play at), but not terribly satisfying now that I've tasted the sweet glory of a buttload of chips. Not that buttloads generally involve sweet glory. I want to move up to the tables where the minimum is 4000. But I don't know how well I can do that now.

Well dammit I'm gonna. I have enough to start at the minimum, even though that's generally a stupid thing to do and you generally lose all your money quickly to the big stacks. It's late and I'm sleepy, but I don't care. I want to taste to previously untasted fruit of the high-end tables. What a shitty sentence. I want to taste the previously untasted...? Really? I wrote that? With a straight face? And then proceeded to mock myself for several sentences instead of just deleting it? Go figure.

Ok. I'm gonna go play poker. Toodles!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you good luck luck in your gambling endeavors.

zurvan said...

Its meta-rambling madness! Your streams of thought flow uphill.