So I'm running about on Friday like a chicken with its head cut off (admittedly, a very well fed chicken, but a chicken nonetheless), and I still have no word from Sagur. The guy isn't exactly local, so I (and Steven for that matter) am starting to get a little offended that he hasn't bothered to contact us- that the only way I know he's in town is because Ilya yelled it to me across the street from the 6th floor of Etcheverry. So we're starting to grumble about how flaky he is. Grumble grumble doesn't have time for his old roommate grumble what a flake grumble grumble. And we're not entirely happy with Ilya and Alex either as they haven't returned any of our calls. There is much cause for displeasure.
So we decide to go to the source and instead of calling/emailing/whatever, we walk to Alex and Ilya's house. We WALK! I didn't grow up in the age of technology to find out information by walking somewhere. Disgusting.
So we get there and Alex greets us much to his surprise. I suspect he doesn't get unannounced visitors at 10 pm very often.
So this is when we find out that Sagur, mere hours upon arriving at Berkeley, had broken his arm playing basketball and was now in the hospital. Alex had nothing more to give us. Didn't say how severe it was, which hospital he was in, nothing. So now Sagur's off the hook for being a flake, but on the hook for being utterly ridiculous. Less than a few hours! Can the man not restrain himself? We later found out that this was no normal arm break. He broke both bones in his forearm, and he broke them so severely that he needed two metal plates and surgery. He also needed lots of morphine, but I don't think he minded that last bit so much.
We visited him the next morning, and he seemed to be doing ok given the circumstances. His arm started swelling up, but a physical therapist gave him some advice on that, and he got a prescription for some pain meds, so I think he'll be alright.
Sagur's definitely an interesting sort. He does keep things lively, if nothing else. And it was cool hanging out and catching up with him, even if it did have to be in the hospital. We gave him a ride back to Ilya and Alex's place later on. We ended up being a little late for the anime/poker day we had planned, but I think "hospitalized friend" is a good enough excuse to be a few hours late.
Speaking of which, anime/poker day was lots of fun. It was very different from past anime days I've had, and I think I'd have to say better. In the past, I've gotten together with a group of friends and we have resolved to sit down and watch and anime from beginning to end. That's generally a 13 hour commitment, and you can only do it if you're very focused. Well this past Saturday, we weren't very focused at all. It was havok! It was the first anime day that was well liquored up. We had some very drunk people on our hands. So nothing was focused and most people were a little loopy. But it was still lots of fun. I went into it knowing that we would never get a series finished (since we'd be breaking for poker and all). We ended up watching a few movies (the original Vampire Hunter D has so many tits!), pigging out on Indian food, listening to standup that Cory did in Switzerland, and doing many other random things. It was really eclectic and quite fun. I enjoyed doing something different and being so laid back about finishing any particular anime. And at the pace we watched, we could have many more anime days without exhausting our supply of good movies. I'd like that to be a more common occurrence. Poker was also at its most drunken and that made it particularly fun as well. Until my pocket aces got beaten by queen jack. Rawr! But even then it was fun. I just hope it was as fun for our host Cory, who seemed certain he would be evicted for the noise. :)
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment