My friend Justine is going through a pretty tough time. I mentioned in an earlier post that her facebook profile was altered a lot and seemed to say pretty clearly that she was separating from her husband Joe. Then it seemed to go back to normal. I called her, but she never called me back. I was ok with that because I figured she was busy or stressed out. She finally did call me back today. It seems she has been very stressed over the past month and she is in fact separating from her husband. I was sad to hear it because I knew how happy she was at her wedding and how nice they seemed together. Then she told me some of their reasons for separating and I was really happy for her for finally getting away from him. Apparently, he was very verbally abusive. She did not repeat most of what he said to her, but she told me that anything negative I could think of, he's called her. The few comments she did tell me were really horrible. He showed signs of that before the marriage, but he got a lot worse after they were married. She hoped that everything would turn out all right, but she finally reached her breaking point with him a few weeks ago. She kept telling him to stop insulting her and that she would leave him if he didn't get counseling by a certain date, but he kept saying that she would never leave him and he'd do what he wanted. She finally left when she was driving him and one of his friends home (she was the designated driver) and he called her a slut, cussed out her mother, cursed her family, and wished for her to be miserable for the rest of her life. He was drunk at the time (not that that's an excuse), but Justine said that that sort of exchange was not too uncommon when he was sober as well. It's really sad to hear that someone treated Justine like that, and it's even more sad to hear that it was someone she used to love. The whole situation is very depressing, but I'm also really happy that she's finally stopped hiding his abusive behavior and left him. She said she's staying on friendly terms with him until she gets her cats and the last of her furniture out of his place, but then she's never going back to him. I'm really glad she's getting away from this bad situation, and she does have the benefit of leaving before they had children or owned property jointly. I'm really glad she recognized what a slimeball this guy is, but I'm really sad that he was such a slimeball to begin with.
So I think I'm happy overall. After talking to Justine for a while, she seems to be taking the whole thing pretty well considering. I always thought she was pretty mature, but she has a new maturity about her now that really makes me think she's going to be ok. She seems to have learned a lot from the whole situation and I think that tips the scale positive. It's still really tough to hear her going through all of that, but I believe things will get better. I'm really looking forward to her finding someone who deserves and appreciates her, and at the risk of sounding sappy, I'm pretty sure she will.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment