Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The blog entry that wasn't

I was writing a blog entry and it was coming along ok, but then it started getting murkier and murkier. I had to keep revising things to get my point across. It didn't flow easily the way most of my ramblings do. I realized it had ceased to be a ramble and had become a laboring trek. It saddened me. It saddened me enough that I scrapped the whole entry. I'll give you the brief gist of it: I got the official letter from Stanford saying I didn't make it off the waitlist. I had already expected that to be the case and decided that I wasn't going to go there anyway, even if I did miraculously get off the waitlist. I was only writing about it in my blog in an attempt to highlight how pretentious the letter was. However, upon writing the blog entry, I decided that I was nitpicking and needed to give Stanford some slack. I was mildly affronted by their comment "I realize this will come as a disappointment to you" (how pretentious!), but that wasn't really worthy of a full blog entry.

So now here I am, left with the blog entry that wasn't. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Well it's probably about time I went to sleep anyway. Or better yet, read a few pages of Under the Feet of Jesus. I wasn't really planning to do any of the reading for any of my classes for the rest of the semester, but my teacher laid the biggest guilt trip on the class of anyone I'd seen (even more than my rhetoric teacher Naddaff did about attendance). I couldn't really say no to that. She told those of us who hadn't read to just get up and leave. She said to sign the attendance sheet, get the credit for showing up, and then stop taking up space. I felt rather ashamed. Now I wasn't about to leave because the discussions are interesting even when you haven't done the reading, but it was fairly uncomfortable. I'd rather not feel so guilty about attending class.

Which means I've got a book to read. Sigh.

No comments: