We got so much loot from Comic-Con! I saw on the news that Comic-Con generates 40 mil in revenue for San Diego, and we certainly did our part adding to that. Admittedly, most of that is in hotel fees, but we got a lot of sweet nerdy loot too.
Loot list:
Approximately $100 in comic books, all of which were half price or less. J. Michael Straczynski earned some royalties from us this weekend. We got 14 trade paperbacks by him alone. We also got dragonlance comic books and a sweet Star Trek comic among other things. You have no idea how much work it was finding every comic book Straczynski has ever written. I literally combed racks upon racks of comic books for hours. I estimate I spent around 4 hours pawing through comic books. It paid off though. I got all 10 volumes of Straczynski's Amazing Spiderman paperbacks. I'm most proud of finding Volume 2. There was seriously only one copy that I saw all weekend and I looked through hundreds upon hundreds of comic books. I now understand the rush that collectors get when hunting through a stack of unorganized books and finding the gem amongst the garbage.
Dice! We got some killer dice! At the Chessex booth, they had a giant bin of dice and for $9 you could scoop out a random mugful of dice ($13 for handpicked). The $9 deal was pretty good and I kind of liked the idea of going home and seeing what dice I got. It was a lot of fun, but let's just say I've got a lot more d10s than I used to. It's ok though. They can be placemarkers for minions or something. At another booth though, we got some really amazing dice. They were pretty costly- I know it was a total splurge, but I really wanted some beautiful dice. I get a huge kick out of dice. I just love to hold them and roll them, and these are pretty amazingly fun to roll. They're metal dice and they've got a really great heft to them. I could have gotten dice carved from stone, but most of the really nice minerals were already sold out. All that was left was blue and black cat's eye. The blue cat's eye was very pretty, but I really wanted soome nice heavy dice. I would have gone for stainless steel, but those were all sold out. They were truly beautiful though. But I'm happy with my dice also. They're hard and sturdy and they just feel so good in your hand. It's almost erotic. Oh who am I kidding. It's extremely erotic.
Nerdy art. well, we're getting a house pretty soon, so we're going to need to decorate it somehow, and I can think of no better way to do so than with a wooden dragon centerpiece. Our coffee table will proudly declare what total nerds we are. It's totally bitching. You have to see it to understand. We got a huge one too. I consider myself a generally frugal person, but there's something about comic-con that makes me want to throw all that to the wind. In fairness, the comic books were really cheap. The trade paperbacks I got were all either half off or $5 each. If I ever wanted to buy those regularly from a comic book store or off of amazon, I'd be paying a whole lot more. And since Steven and I do tend to read a lot of comics, it makes sense to buy a bundle when they're cheap. I really have a lot less of a justification for the beautiful dice and the bitchin dragon, but who cares! I love my loot!
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Waaahh, blogging avalanche!
I'm glad that you had fun!
Post a Comment