Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It builds character

I'm in this really weird phase right now where I feel exceptionally cliche. Well, I'm only cliche in one respect really. I've taken a liking to work. If I put a little bit more on my plate, my justification is often that it's making me a better person for working harder. By cooking in addition to workshift managering, I'm learning how to cook, something I've always wanted to do but never found time for. I'm never going to learn to cook until I practice at it a little more. There's no quick and easy way to actually get good at cooking. Sure I can find and make only the recipes that have the words "easy" or "quick" in the title, but that's not really the fun part of cooking. I like being thrifty. I like having complete control over what I eat (you never know what you get in a restaurant). I also like having control in the sense that I don't have to get something where I like 4 of the 5 ingredients and then eat around the thing I don't like just because the rest of the ingredients sound really good. I don't have to eat bell peppers anymore! So many good foods have bell peppers hiding, lurking, waiting for the chance to overpower the superior flavors surrounding them. Well I say, "No more!" to the tyranny of bell peppers! "No more!" to sneaky msg! "No more!" to foods that I know would make me shudder in guilt if I had even in inkling of their fat content! By working hard, I can take control of my consumption and eat healthier and happier. It's also an outlet for my creative tendencies. Long ago, my edible creative tendencies were limited to taking half a walnut, spreading peanut butter on it, and covering the top of the peanut butter spread with chocolate chips (try it! the combination is good!). Not so long ago, I had the presence of mind to request that peas be added to a dish. Now I think I may be ready to create my own. Or at least I would if Steven wouldn't shoot me down. Mr "I hate steak no matter how well it's flavored!" Sheesh.

Ok wait a sec. Good ideas to flesh out here. But it's freakin late the day before a paper is due. Why am I blogging now? I don't know! Maybe I like extra work. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel terrible. I didn't mean to "shoot you down" =( =( =( I want you to cook your little heart out and express yourself, if that makes you happy.

rjamm said...

Oh no! I didn't mean for you to feel terrible!

But that was tactless.

But I'm still making it and making you eat it. And I still want an honest opinion of the final product. I'm also not going to listen to your opinion too closely since I'm going to try it and judge for myself.

Unknown said...

Sounds fair.