Monday, August 13, 2007

If I were any fonder of alcohol, this would drive me to drink

I'm so shaken up right now. I should really make this brief so I can go to sleep and put it behind me, but it's on my mind. And Steven seemed so sure that I would blog that it's hard to disappoint.

So I totaled Steven's car about an hour ago. Maybe an hour and a half. He doesn't blame me or anything, but I feel terrible about it. And my jacket smells like the smoke from the engine. And no one was hurt. Steven has a little chest pain from the seatbelt. I guess I do too. The other car I hit was barely damaged. Steven's car is another matter. The engine is pretty much half the size of what an engine ought to be. It's also full of tree. I feel bad for the tree. I really smashed the hell out of it.

I have no idea what happened. One second I'm trying to merge right, the next I'm trying to avoid a car on my left. I think I failed to do so. The next second I see the center divide right in front of me. Then we crashed a lot. My glasses were knocked off by the airbag. I just remember crashing around and feeling ok, so waiting for it to stop. It seemed to stop for a second or two, but then we started crashing some more. I couldn't see anything in part because my glasses were off (I didn't even notice until I was out of the car and everything was blurry) and in part because the hood of the car was completely blocking the windshield. I realized at some point that we weren't moving any more, at which point I realized my foot was still on the gas. Steven asked if I was alright and I said that I was. Then he started yelling to get out of the car. It was really smoky in there. I tried opening my door, but it wouldn't open. It may have just been locked, but I didn't have the presence of mind to think about it. I just scurried out of Steven's door behind him. Then we walked away from the car in case it was going to explode or something (I left the engine running... what was left of the engine).

I'm a little proud of myself for leaving my purse and backpack behind. You're always told to leave your possessions behind in emergency situations, but I always thought to myself how inconvenient it would be to lose my purse and how quick it would be to just grab it on my way out. I think I get why they tell you to leave it behind now.

Luckily, policemen got us both our glasses and my purse and backpack. I was relieved that I didn't have to do my math homework over again. I was a little tempted to go back into the car for my backpack. Not tempted enough to so it, but it would be a tragedy to lose my math material right before finals week.

Phew... Part of me wants to take a shot of hard liquor since that's what people in movies do to calm their nerves, but I just don't like alcohol that much, especially shots of hard liquor. They burn your throat. And then your tummy. And then they wear off too soon. Not like beer. Good old beer. I'm in a bit of a pro beer phase right now. If I'm going to drink, I want it to be beer. It tastes good and gets you a nice mild drunk.

But enough of this! There is too much gravity right now for me to be rambling so! Now I must go to sleep and digest the happenings of the evening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're not going to drink to drown your sorrows.

I love you so much, and I hope you stop feeling bad.

Jonathan said...

holy shit! i'm glad you're both okay. your description made it sound pretty fucking terrifying.

at the same time, i still laughed out loud when you mentioned the tree. :)