Thursday, March 29, 2007

A little too much excitement

Today was absolutely bizarre. I still have yet to catch my bearings. It's almost too unbelievable. Steven and I went to the zoo as planned, but it was one of the most out of control visits to the zoo ever. One of the tigers actually got loose from its cage when I was only a hundred feet or so away! I saw a few people grabbing children and looking really freaked out, and I didn't get it at first. Then all of a sudden I saw one of the tigers actually just walking around and realized it wasn't in its cage. The tigers aren't that menacing when they're behind a fence just sitting there, but seeing one that could in theory maul me was actually really frightening. I grabbed Steven and we high-tailed it out of there with the rest of the panicking masses. We were kinda freaked out, so we left the zoo early. We just finished watching the local news a few minutes ago. They spent almost the whole time talking about the zoo incident. Apparently some zookeeper fucked up and the tiger got out, but luckily no one was hurt aside from a few minor injuries (more related to the panic than to the tiger). It turned out the tiger was more interested in the hooved animals a few cages over. He managed to kill a bison before the zoo staff managed to tranquilize him. One of the people they interviewed on the news was the head zookeeper. He kept stammering about how unusual the whole thing was and how this has never happened before and how tigers don't normally attack in that fashion, etc. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone that nervous and stressed out. I felt really bad for him. This is really bad publicity for the zoo. No one wants to take their kids to a place where the tigers might maul them. I feel really bad, but I don't particularly want to go back there either at the moment. I was really freaked out at the time, and honestly I still am. But I don't want the zoo to have financial hardship. I suppose I wouldn't mind donating... But anyway, this has been the only thing I could think about all day. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what any investigations end up turning up (ie who did it and what went wrong etc).

So the last paragraph was a lie. None of that happened. I just wanted to spice up everyone's blogging experience. It was kinda fun to be completely fraudulent. Hope you enjoyed it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bad sweetie.

zurvan said...

I concur, bad sweetie!

I totally didn't fall for that (awkwardly gazes at own feet). Jerk.