Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Homeless Turnover

Something that has occurred to me recently is that all the homeless people that I see now vs when I first came to Berkeley are different. I'll admit I didn't pay really close attention before, but the more attention grabbing (read creepiest) ones are all gone. It's not like there's one or two who have remained constant. They're all gone. It makes me wonder about what happened to them. Did they get arrested for three petty offenses under 3 strikes and are now spending the rest of their lives in jail? Did they finally seek some help and are struggling to get back on their feet? Did they move to another city? Did they die? I don't know, but it does make me wonder a little about what it's like to be homeless. Nothing must be constant. People are always coming and going and sometimes never coming back until one day you don't come back either. I guess having a home keeps you and your life constant. I guess I never realized how unstable it was to be homeless. I mean, homeless people have always been a constant in Berkeley. They're always there. But they're all different people. I wonder how long someone could last. It seems 4 years is more than anyone could make. It seems like an awful short time to be able to stay in one place.

I'm working on shorter blog entries and honestly I don't have a lot more to say, so I think I'll end it here. May your musings be more pleasant than mine.