Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Rice
One strange thing I've noticed- rice is really expensive here! It didn't strike me as that expensive at first, but it actually is like half the cost of a cheap meal. Rice costs the same here as it does in the US. 40 pesos, or 1 dollar for one serving. The main meat of a meal will usually be 40 to 60 pesos. The rice is comparatively a lot more expensive. Maybe it's a supply and demand thing? People here do love their rice. I've never seen anyone eat a meal without rice. Actually, you can get a noodle dish at Chinese places, but there are a lot more rice dishes around than noodle ones. People eat rice with soup, with burgers, at KFC (no biscuits- just rice)... And for whatever reason, they pay about the same amount as they do for meat. Go figure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's nuts! Maybe it's imported when meat is local? That's my only other guess.
Have you tried soup #5 yet?
Also let me know if you have found a tour yet :)
Oh, I found ur blog link in my email archive from 2010. Google is love.
On the cheap labor note, the Philippines is the main place maids in Malaysia come from. Maids are so common in Malaysia that most houses are built with maids quarters. Malaysia is fair rich compared to a lot of south east Asia.... It's late....I'm rambling on Rosemary's ramblings!
Hope these comments keep you entertained.
Is there a soup 1-4?
Post a Comment