Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Facts from the First Day of School

Was exhausting. But interesting. So far I really like my Algebra Readiness class. I was completely expecting them to rip me a new one, but they were really sweet and they looked like they really wanted to work hard. It might just be that it's the first day, but I have to say I really liked them. They made me all warm and fuzzy inside. My Algebra 1 students did not. They weren't that bad really, but my lesson was just more of the same and they weren't having it. And some of my Algebra Readiness students were in my Algebra 1 class, and my lessons for those two classes were really similar. I couldn't blame them for being completely bored and then acting up. They basically had the same class twice in one day.

None of my algebra 2 classes has fewer than 40 students. The sizes should reduce, but what am I supposed to do until then? Well, by contract, they have 15 days to get my load to 170 or less. And here I was thinking I was going to have 150 students. :(

I made up my lesson plan for Algebra Readiness on the fly. I'm happy that I'm able to do that. And it was really pretty good too. I had side by side comparisons of different ways to solve a problem. I had opportunities for students to think, write down their preconceptions, and share with their partners. I had time to check in with students to see if they were following along. And I think I made a good connection with a student who spent most of the class period sleeping. It was not a total lecture and I think I related to the kids ok. I'm pretty pleased with myself, but mostly pleased that I could be spontaneous.

None of my kids seemed to have a problem with my "no make up tests" policy. Yay!

I'm most happy with myself for doing a good job of separating school from the rest of my life. I didn't bring home any work today. So I came home, and I was free to blog, or loaf, or whatever. Yes, I'm blogging about school, but that's by choice and only because Steven isn't home yet. The only school related work I plan to do tonight is making my lunch for tomorrow.

My throat becomes incredibly dry while teaching. Apparently, you get a lot thirstier doing it all day long.

I am fairly hyper in 1st period and incredibly mellow in 6th. After a while, you just shrug at your mistakes.

I don't like spending time with my coworkers during lunch. It's just less time for me to go "phew!" and stare at my sandwich.

abstrusegoose is blocked by the school network. xkcd is not.

Being a first year teacher is tough, but no matter how many years of experience you have, starting at a new school is an amazing amount of bureaucracy and takes a lot of getting settled in.

I don't have a clock in my room. Every single one of my classes complained.

I don't know how to make a referral. I think I might have to soon. *gulp*

Teaching makes you constantly hungry. Maybe because it burns more calories than sitting on your ass, as I've been doing all summer.

I'm getting food now. Bye.

1 comment:

zurvan said...

See! I told you that you were awesome!

Rock on!