Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ack!

A few days ago, someone sent out an email to people in my program asking if anyone was interested in being a student representative for this retreat on race in teaching programs. The topic is very interesting to me and I'll admit that a nice excuse to miss class sounded somewhat appealing (it's a several day long retreat). Only two of us said we were interested, and so they managed to find enough funds for both of us to go. I think to myself, oh this sounds nice. It should be informative and fun. I think most people there will be a lot older than me, but that's ok. I figure it's going to be renting out a large room somewhere with a bunch of folding chairs and maybe a powerpoint on a projector. A few crummy lunches, maybe airline quality, (but also free, so who am I to complain) would be tossed in there too. Probably renting rooms at some cheap hotel nearby. They said it was in Sonoma in the countryside, so I was pretty much expecting it to be the boonies.

Well wasn't I wrong.

This is no cheap boonies excursion. This thing is SWANKY! They just sent me the information today. Perhaps it's just an overly flowery writer talking the place up too much, but this sounds like it's high class. I mean super high class. I mean, guy in the bathroom asking if you want him to wipe you ass high class.

Well maybe not that high class.

But Jesus! I'll actually have to wear nice things! They can't make me shave though. There's no way they're making me shave.

Before I go, let me just give a few brief examples of the swank:
This is the Westerbeke estate, where the Westerbeke family has lived for over 70 years.
And here's a direct quote: "Our gourmet chefs bring unique gifts of grace, skill and invaluable culinary knowledge to our kitchen. Everything is prepared with special emphasis on herbs and natural flavors. No outside food or beverages are allowed without prior approval."
No hard liquor allowed. They have wine and beer (probably at exorbitant prices) and they charge a $6 corking fee for a bottle of wine and a $6 fee per six pack of beer or soda which you wish to bring into the ranch.

...

What have I gotten myself into? This is (was) a private home that can fit 51 people! Ack!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You like nice food. I think you'll be happy.